Monday, September 20, 2010

New Year in Music Begins!




Although technically last Thursday, when I came to introduce myself to the kids, was my first day, today was the first day of classes. I was extremely pleased by how focused the kids were (this the only the second week of school, after all) how much they seem to have retained. I think it's going to be a good year.

Today I met with all of kindergarten, Jane Raphael's K-!-2 class and 2 of the 3 fourth grade classes. This year music will be organized into units, with unit 1 in all grade levels focusing on fundamental skills. For example in kinder today the kids learned about the importance of focused listening and learned to accompany themselves while singing the African train song "M'bombera". Fourth graders began by working on their singing skills -- breathing, pitch matching and part singing -- using the song "From Wibbleton to Wobbleton," a favorite of mine.

For parents, teachers and students who are new to the blog, this is my place for providing information about what's going on in music and extending my classroom. You are free to become a following of this blog to keep track of what's coming up and/or post a comment.

Keep checking back!

No comments:

Post a Comment